The Better the Coach…
The Better the Experiences…
The Better the Athlete.
We rely on thousands of people throughout the year to volunteer their time, knowledge and spirit to coach our Special Olympics Wyoming athletes. Coaching is open to everyone- past and current coaches, past and current athletes, or people with or without and sports experience who just want to help out!
Why Become a Special Olympics Wyoming Coach?
Coaches play an indispensible role in Special Olympics, and coaching education helps to ensure each coach and athlete has the best sport experience possible. Special Olympics Wyoming is happy to teach you what you need to know to enjoy your experience and make a significant difference in the lives of our athletes and families
- Assist athletes in developing sports skills and applying them during competitions
- Build confidence and self-esteem through sport
- Organize and conduct an 8-10 week sports training program
- Teach all coaching staff and athletes the rules of the sport
How Do I Become a Coach?
If you're not currently involved with a Special Olympics team, the first step is to fill out the Volunteer Interest Survey. SOWY will forward your interest to the Local Coordinator in your area. You’ll work with the local coordinator about their volunteer/coach needs.
After communicating with the local coordinator or if you are already involved with a team, a coach needs the following before working with athletes:
Step 1: Complete the Following:
A background check will be conducted on individuals 18 years of age and older.
- The volunteer application must be resubmitted every three (3) years.
2. Online Protective Behaviors Training.
- This training is required every three (3) years.
3. Online General Session Training.
4. Online Concussion Training (new requirement of all coaches as of January 2015)
Step 2: Complete Sport Training Certification through the Coach Education System.
- Option #1: For Volunteers without prior sports experience or certification
- Attend a Special Olympcis Wyoming Coaches Training (see below for dates and registration)
- Complete the Application for Sports Training Certification
- Option #2: For volunteers with prior sports certification from an outside agency or with extensive sports experience (call Bennell LaPorte to get approval of "extensive sports experience" 307-235-3062)
- Complete the online Coaching Special Olympics Athletes course
- Complete the Application for Alternate Head Coach Certification
- In recognition of volunteer coaches with formal sport education, Special Olympics Wyoming provides an application for Alternate Head Coach Certification. To obtain a three-year sport specific Head Coach Certification, a coach can submit an application listing sport specific and educational levels achieved outside of Special Olympics Wyoming
Check Your Certified Coach Status
Upcoming Coaches Trainings:
Saturday April 1st Summer Sports Coaches Training! For more information and to register click HERE!
Interested in hosting a coaches training in your community? Check out the requirements.
Online Sports Certification Courses:
- Aquatics: Coaching Swimming
- Athletics: Coaching Track & Field
- Basketball: Coaching Basketball or Coaching Youth Basketball
- Golf: Coaching Golf
- Soccer: Coaching Soccer, or Coaching Youth Soccer
- Softball: Coaching Softball, or Coaching Youth Softball
- Tennis: Coaching Youth Tennis
- Powerlifting: Strength and Conditioning
- Unified Sports*: Coaching Unified Sports Required for coaches of Unified Sports Teams
Coach certification needs to be renewed every three years. Coaches have the option to:
- Attend a sport-specific training (online or in person)
- or Receive First aid and CPR Certification (good for one-time recertification)
- or Complete one of the following online courses below:
- Strength and Conditioning ***
- Fundamentals of Coaching ***
- Teaching and Modeling Behavior ***
- Teaching Sports Skills ***
- First Aid, Health and Safety for Coaches
- Creating a Safe and Respectful Environment
- A Guide to Heat Acclimatization and Health Illness Prevention
- A Guide to Sports Nutrition
- Engaging Effectively with Parents
Once a recertification course is completed, the coach must submit an Application for Sports Training Certification, listing the recertification course taken and what sport they are requesting recertification in.
*** There is an associated cost with these courses that will not be reimbursed by Special Olympics Wyoming.
Have questions? Contact Regan Diller 307.235.3062 or email@example.com